Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gerrard to lead with or without armband

Wednesday, February 24, 2010
England v Andorra - FIFA2010 World Cup Qualifier


England midfielder Steven Gerrard insists wearing the skipper's armband is not an issue when you lead by example on the pitch

Gerrard was considered as Fabio Capello's on-the-pitch leader when the Italian was appointed and is now expected to be vice-skipper after John Terry was stripped of leadership duties.

The 29-year-old Gerrard feels there is no difference between performing as a captain or as part of the starting XI.

"When I play for England, when I'm not captain, I still approach it exactly the same as if I am captain and I try and go out there and lead by example, so I can help my team-mates and do the right thing," he told FIFA.com.

"So, although it is nice to be captain and it's a privilege, you approach the game exactly the same with an armband on or off."

The captaincy issue has been a disruption to England's preparations for the World Cup in South Africa in the summer.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails