Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ferrero triumphs in Buenos Aires

Sunday, February 21, 2010
US Open Day 5


Second seed Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain claimed his second ATP Tour title in as many weeks on Sunday.

This was after he beat top-seeded compatriot David Ferrer in the final of the ATP Copa Telmex in Buenos Aires.

Ferrero, who also triumphed at the Brasil Open last weekend, battled from a set down to overcome Ferrer 5-7 6-4 6-3 in a match which lasted more than two and a half hours.

The 30-year-old's victory made him the third Spaniard to claim the Copa Telmex crown since the tournament started in 2001, following Carlos Moya (2003 and 2006) and Tommy Robredo (2009).

Ferrero was thrilled to have clinched his 14th ATP title so soon after the 13th.

"I feel unbelievable after winning two weeks in a row," he said. "It is a great feeling.

"I think the key to my current success is the physical work I have done. I have been working very hard and I know that I can be on the court forever. That helps my game a lot because I get to the ball much early and can be more aggressive.

"This also helps me mentally. I feel very strong and know that I have more resources now when playing important points."

Ferrer said: "It was a great match with a very high level of tennis from both sides.

"Each time we play we know we are going to play with a lot of rhythm and whoever is in better shape takes the match.

"It was very intense and we both had our chances.

"In the third set he played much more aggressively than I did and that made a difference in the important points."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails